Make sure to use a consent form.
- 28 million Americans suffer from varying degrees of osteoporosis. Women are four times as likely as men to suffer from weakened bones.
- Bisphosphonates are prescribed to treat this problem.
- The side effect is significant effects on the cells that mediate bone cell activity.
- High levels of this drug can cause a dangerous side effect known as osteonecrosis of the jaws.
- The concern, for smaller doses, has now been voiced by healthcare professionals.
- In order to clarify this situation steps are being recommended.
- Talking with your health professional about all drugs you are taking or contemplating. Communication between your health professionals before starting or during your course of treatment. Do not neglect one for the other.
- Having an exam prior to treatment is preferred.
- Disclose all medication at all doctor appointments protects your health professionals is recommended.
- If you are taking these medications and notice any unusual oral problems such as pain or bleeding, you should notify your oral health professional.
- Fosamax, Boniva, Actonel are a few of the drugs patients with osteoporosis are prescribed. Some of these products are sold over the counter. As professionals, we need to ask direct questions to get the answers we need to take care of our patients.